Currently listening to David Guetta, Sia, Fetty Wap – Bang my head against the wall.
In the comment section of this post, a lot of people asked me to talk about times when I feel down. In my reality, I’m hardly ever down. Life isn’t a bed of roses but in the past two years, I’ve been walking on a journey of genuine happiness and it’s been very effective.
I’ve decided to share how and what I did to get to this level of happiness in the best way I can explain it in a series with hope that this helps someone. In today’s post like the title implies, I’d be sharing with you reasons why you are probably not as happy as you want to be…
1. LACK OF CONTENTMENT : This is the major reason why a lot of people especially young adults aren’t happy. Your friend has a truck of makeup, at 21 your homeboy owns a limo or your girlfriend is engaged and you are just sitting in the corner with nothing happening for you and you spend everyday thinking of these things forgetting that every body on the surface of this earth is running a different race.
2. TYING YOUR HAPPINESS TO AN OBJECT / PERSON : Before 2014 I used to think my source of happiness was my boyfriend (how stupid I was ewww), whenever we had issues I’d be sad till we sorted things out and dating at a young age ofcourse I was sad a lot of days because we had issues on a regular and I’m certain this applies to a lot of young people too, it might not be a boyfriend in your case it might be food etc. The truth is food doesn’t make you happy, it’s because you’ve registered it in your head that you’re happy when you eat that’s why you feel happy when you eat. Today I’m still in a relationship but you’d hardly ever be able to tell that if we have issues, it still hurts yeah but I never build on that feeling. If you can apply that to every aspect of your life then you’d feel happy with everything you do.
3. NOT FULFILLING PURPOSE : Yes you’ve got a job or you’re at school but there is still that emptiness you feel that leaves you angry at yourself or leaves you feeling lonely, trust me I’ve been there too but since I created this blog and started exploring my creative side I barely have time to sit and be angry or think of negative things because the little spare time I have when I’m not busy with school I’m thinking of content for this blog or creating content for my job etc.
4. ENVY : Sometimes being envious isn’t something people consciously become, most times this comes as a result of not being content with where you are, what you have and instead of genuinely being happy for your friends or people that are doing well around you and channeling energy into being a better you, you channel that energy into being angry at them for being at the level they are without knowing that “If you help others achieve their dreams, you are also achieving your dreams”_ Will Smith.
5. FINANCIAL DEBT : Another thing that arises due to lack of contentment, a lot of young people tend to start living above their budget just to keep up appearances which is very wrong because you end up in debt an that’s will definitely make you unhappy.
Blazer : 87origins
Check yourself, see if you fall into any of the above categories and make a decision today to work on yourself. No one is perfect and so you shouldn’t ever be afraid to try and fail, the most important is to continuously keep working towards being your dream version of you. I’d be writing a post soon on ways to boost your happiness level and it will be awesome to get feedbacks about this post so I’d know if to keep up with this kind of post.
Till next time… xoxo.
Word for the day : ‘Whatever you decide to do, make sure it makes you happy’